Peter Rabbit Cupcakes
I have done some Beatrix Potter cupcakes before which featured Jemima Puddle duck and Peter R and they were pretty popular so I decided to make some Peter Rabbit ones with his favourite snacks carrots and cabbage!
The recipe and decoration is really easy. I got the Peter Rabbits from Lakeland but print off a photo of him and stick it on a cocktail stick and hey presto!
Here is the recipe:
150g caster sugar
3 medium eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
orange and green colouring
1. Preheat oven to 180c/Gas Mark 4 and line a 12-hole muffin/cupcake tin with paper cases.
2. Pop the butter, sugar, beaten eggs and vanilla extract into a bowl and then sift in flour and baking powder.
3. Give the mixture a good beat either with or without a hand blender (probs less effort with one!!) Do this for about 2 minutes until it is pale and fluffy to make it taste really light - Almost like a mousse consistency.
4. Spoon the mixture into the cases evenly and bake for around 20-25 minutes.
5. For decorating the cupcakes all you need to do is cut off a chunk of the ready-to-roll icing, spread some icing powder on to a surface and roll it out.
6. Use a cookie cutter to cut a circle and pop it on the cupcake using made up icing sugar icing to stick it on.
7. For the carrot, roll out some read-to-roll icing and knead in a few drops of orange. Then roll out a ball and cut out a carrot shape and use some icing to stick it on the cupcake. Slash a few lines down the carrot using a knife. With some green ready-to-roll icing cut out a few thin triangles and stick them on top of the carrot.
8. For the cabbages, Roll out a few thin petal sized pieces of green icing and in your hand roll one piece over till it curls round itself, keep adding layers round till it creates a little rose. Cut off the end so its stubby and then stick on the cupcake.
Put the kettle on and enjoy your nostalgic cupcake!