These rose cupcakes are so yummy and as ever… easy to make! I got the recipe from the hummingbird bakery book Cake Days… so they really are good!
For the Cupcake:
80g unsalted butter
280g caster sugar
240g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp rosewater
2 large eggs
For the Frosting:
500g icing sugar
160g unsalted butter
3 tsp rosewate
50ml whole milk
Ready to roll icing
1. Preheat your oven to 190c, gas mark 5 and line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. Whisk together butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt, until its the consistency of breadcrumbs.
3. Mix rosewater in a jug with milk and then add the eggs and whisk them together. Pour 3/4 of milk mixture into dry ingredients and mix firstly on a low speed and then on a medium speed. Continue to to mix until smooth and thick and then add the remaining milk mixture and keep mixing on a medium speed until all ingredients are mixed together and batter is smooth.
4. Pop the mixture in the muffin cases evenly and then put them in the oven for 18-20 mins.
5. When cupcakes are springy to the touch, take them out and leave them to cool.
6. To make the frosting beat together the icing sugar and butter until butter is mixed in, it will still be powdery at this point! Mix the rosewater and milk together separately and then pour into the dry mix and mix until light and fluffy.
7. Smooth the frosting over the tops of the cupcakes with a palette knife.
8. I decorate the cupcakes using ready to roll icing and cutting out a little flower shape, but the book recommend putting some candied rose petals on top!